In Which Our Heroine Finds Herself Kidnapped

Project Title: The Mistress of Frosthaven
Genre: YA – Dark Fantasy
Words Today: 1,535
Running Total: 61,315
Scrap Draft: (V1.0 = 31,142), V2.0 = 12,478

One hundred days, and 60k+ words. We’re making progress. Slow, annoying progress, but progress none the less. Managed to take some time earlier in the day to start tracing the development of the villain, step by step, through the pre-story past. I haven’t quite finished, but already it’s opened some clear doors and certainly some insight into who she is and why she’s doing what she’s doing, which I think will help as I draw nearer to the confrontations that will inevitably come.

Did something tonight I haven’t in a long, long time. I made a complete and total jump from the “plan” and went rogue. I have no idea if this diversion is something I’ll keep, but it is generally in line with what I was hoping would happen, just sooner than I expected. And if nothing else, it allows me to dig into a character I haven’t been able to see too clearly up until now. An enemy turned ally.

I have a sneaking suspicion I’m going to have to do some major, major world-building in the second draft, too, along with fixing all the other horrific problems, but I’M NOT THINKING ABOUT THAT NOW! I’m pleased with today’s work, at any rate, and rather energized. It’s given me some momentum I was desperately lacking at the beginning of the session when I was retracing steps I didn’t feel like retracing. So that’s something.

One hundred days, and 60k words. Not too shabby.

Advertisements